Thursday, November 22, 2007

Promoting Kenya leads to business success

By Michael Atkin

Peter Mambarara found it hard getting satisfying work when he first came to Australia. He ran into a common barrier for new migrants when businesses refused to recognise his qualifications - so he was forced to think outside the square.

Despite being a computer programmer manager for Telcom Kenya, an equivalent of Telstra, Australian companies told Peter he would need to start at the bottom.


Initially the 55-year-old considered working his way up the ranks.

"I felt all they were asking for was that I prove myself and climb up the levels beginning as low level support staff'', Mr Mambarara said.

"I thought, 'I don't mind doing that,' but then I felt I could look for something better.''That something better is happening now.

Mr Mambarara noticed that Kenyan businesses were underepresented in Australia and decided to do something about it. He contacted the Kenyan High Commissioner and together they established the Kenya Australia Trading Association.

As vice president Mr Mambarara encourages and promotes Kenyan business interests in Australia. His current project sees him importing Jani Tea for sale in local supermarkets.

Talks with Woolworths have been successful and next year Jani will be sold in some of the retail giant's outlets. So far Mr Mambarara has received a commitment to stock 30,000 packets and, if the tea proves popular, Woolworths will offer Jani at more outlets. He's confident.

"I am excited about the deal. Once the tea business succeeds I don't think I will go back to being a computer programmer,'' he said. "Age is catching up with me and I think you need to be a young person to do the computer work.''

Mr Mambarara moved to Sydney from Nairobi with his wife Susan Mwangi and their two children in April 2005. She found work as a registered nurse at St George Hospital, allowing the family to make the big move.

"Economic hardship was one of our reasons for leaving,'' Mr Mambarara said.

"There are better openings and better opportunities here. For doing the same job in Kenya my wife would get paid about one tenth of the salary'', he said."The other reason was personal safety. In Nairobi you had to be careful about where you went all the time.''

His family is now hoping to make Australia a permanent home. They are on a long stay visa now and have applied for permanent residency. Peter says he quickly fell in love with his new home.

"I am impressed by the vastness of the city, by the infrastructure and the kindness of the people,'' he said.

"Everywhere you go people are very accommodating and I feel very much at home. It is a beautiful place with a lot of opportunities for my children.''

No comments: